Sunday, March 17, 2013

Local Sablefish inspired by Michel Bras

   Its been 11 years since The Essential Cuisine of Michel Bras was first published. I still remember the amazement I felt the first time I had the opportunity to explore its pages, and it is still one of the books I look at the most often. At the time I was just starting to learn that there was so much more to food then what I was exposed to in Mid-Missouri.
 Paging through the book my eyes were open to a whole new world. A place where a plate went beyond being a large pile of edible matter that had to consist of a starch, a vegetable, a protein, and a thick, heavy sauce.




This dish reflects my respect for his aesthetic. A glistening piece of white fish that contrasts with the dark,briny niciose olive oil it was cooked in. Lots of negative space broken by flowing lines of sauces and a variety of lightly cooked onions. Then garnished with tiny radishes and local sea vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment