Sunday, April 21, 2013

Broken Arrow Ranch Antelope Tart "Spring Style"



      I'd never considered antelope until Perrin from Broken Arrow Ranch asked me if I was interested in it. I brought a 30lb leg in just to see what it was about and was very impressed. When cooked to medium rare it has a light gameyness with a dense, tender texture that's seems to be a cross of beef and duck breast. However, since it is extremely lean, it becomes dry and chewy if cooked past medium.



        I broke down the leg by following the seams of the muscle. I then cleaned the silver skin from the appropriate pieces and cut them into nice even logs. I soaked the logs in a salt and poly phosphate brine them cryovaced them. Cooked them at 56 C for 90 minutes. Next I cut them into portions and seared them quickly and slice into medallions. (got around 23 portions)

This left me with about 40% of tougher muscles and meat trim which I used to make tarts.



No comments:

Post a Comment